Monday, March 11, 2013

Yoga... why not?

Eight  years ago I took a friend's yoga class. She's a fellow black belt from the old school, and a dear friend who works as a massage therapist and yoga instructor. I figured I'd be fine taking this class, I'm flexible and stuff! The class she taught that day was , shall we say, and intermediate level yoga class... and it kicked my ass! Keep in mind I'm built like a linebacker, stocky, muscular, and also  someone who knows his way around a kitchen.

Lately I've been feeling very... stiff. And I'm certain that it's due to too much weightlifting. This happens in the winter sometimes... too much lifting, not enough cardio. It's been more apparent in my Aikido class. One of the guys that joined recently teaches yoga part time, and he looks the part. Skinny, but in shape, flexible and very calm . When he attacks me, it's way too easy to throw him around. It takes more to manipulate his joints for pain though, due to his flexibility. This inspiration by him and the noted feeling of being like a tightened rubber band has led me to want to give yoga another try

Haven't taken one of my friend's classes since that one time , mainly since her usual yoga classes run on days I work. Recently that same friend started a yoga workshop for beginners. It's running on thursdays for seven weeks. Figured I'd give it a shot again.

First off, I'm the only guy in the class, but I at least know the instructor, and I know four of ten students from that first session. It was nice. Nothing too strenuous, perfect for a beginner like me. It was nice, even rejuvenating. Felt like my circulation was better after the class. I"m going to keep up with this workshop.

On a side note, I did take yoga class last october that another friend teaches. Great class, and good instructor, but it takes place on thursday mornings, one of two possible days I get to sleep in. If my other friend doesn't teach yoga on thursdays after this workshop is over, I'll go back to that other class to keep up with crazy thing called yoga...

1 comment: