Monday, March 4, 2013

Van vs. Box

There are various types of ambulances used in the US. The company I work for happens to have three ambulances, all different styles. There are really four styles.

First one is the big rig size ambulances used by major hospitals and some fire departments that do heavy duty stuff. I had the opportunity to work on one for a fire deptartment in one of the bigger cities in NH while doing my ride time for paramedic school. At 5'10, I had inches to spare standing straight up in these rigs, with room on both sides. Great to work in, but a fortune to fuel I'm guessing.

Next step down is the box truck, built on a van platform. Our main transfer truck at my full time job is one of these. I can almost stand straight up and have room on both sides to work, although just one side to sit. Good solid trucks. I also work for a municipal service in the smaller town next to us every other sunday. Awesome trucks. Room to sit on both sides. Also ridiculously spoiled with a drop down DVD player, which is great for our patients when we have long 2-3 hour transfers. When I'm on those transfers I like to joke with our patients that we have a decent selection for the "in-flight movie".  Side note: the cartoon show "King of the Hill" works for every age, creed, religion, and political affiliation.

Next step down there is a box truck built on a truck chassis, with the front cab seperated from the back. We have one as our main 911 truck, with 4x4 (we live in the wintery north, much needed). Ours works well, but has a very short box in the back. I constantly hit my head in that one.

Then there's the bottom-feeders of the bunch, the van type ambulances. Cramped, tiny, with only one side to work on. The one we have at my full time job needs an extension cord to plug in an IV pump if attached to our stretcher. Quite annoying. Had to do two ALS (advanced life support) transfers in our van last friday, since our main transfer truck was down. The company will be replacing the old box truck later this year, and I seriously hope they don't replace it with another van.

Our rides aren't as "cool" as cop cars and firetrucks, but we tend to be happy with our ambulances as long as they run properly and give us the room to work freely around our patients in what are essentially "mini-emergency rooms on wheels".

No comments:

Post a Comment