Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Trip to Arizona: Part 1

I'm writing this en route back to New Hampshire in the air. I was out in the Phoenix, Arizona area for almost a week to celebrate my mom's 60th birthday party. Most of my mom's side of the family along with my brother and his fiancee were there.

My parents live in a retirement community where one of the household members has to be at least 55 years old. My parents bought the place about 5 years ago when my mom was 55 and my father was 53. The small city of Sun City West is a retirement community with 9 golf courses, multiple gyms and various recreation areas for sports, crafts and even automobile restoration. She works at a nearby hospital, where a lot of her days her commute is a nice 2 mile flat ride on her bicycle. My old man, a retired firefighter, is enjoying enjoying retirement as a full time job. He has an exercise regimen, is heavily  involved in the local "Boomer's Club"(baby boomer generation) and goes off on scooter adventures with his BMW 650cc.

I've got two sets of aunts/uncles that ride Harleys. One couple lives in Vermont, my mom's sister Aunt Cathy and Uncle Rick, while mom's brother Uncle Dave and Aunt Denise live in Texas, near my cousin Rob and his wife Demecia.  They all rented a house in the next town over while staying in the area for the festivities. Aunt Cathy suggested to me a couple months ago that we should rent motorcycles and tour some of the area.

Having gone on some car trips before with my folks, this got me excited. Get to try a rental bike and ride on some gnarly mountain roads. After some exchanged emails about where to rent, I just told Aunt Cathy to pick a place and I'll rent what I like from there. She chose a Harley dealership... which would not have been my first choice. The handful of people that read my blog know that I'm not a big fan of HD, and how much I love my Honda VTX1300. There was one HD model I'd been wanting to try however, and this would be a great opportunity.

Over the next week I'll be posting on my excellent vacation in Arizona; from hanging out with the family, to my mother's birthday party, good food, and some excellent riding (even when we got lost... a couple times).

Stay tuned folks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment