Sunday, May 11, 2014

Trip to Arizona: Part 2

My parents live in a retirement community, where my mother works at the nearby hospital as a nurse. My father however, a retired firefighter, notoriously known for being a workaholic, has embraced retirement like a kid in a candy store. Sun City West truly is a candy store for retirees.

Just to own a home in the area, one of the married entities in the marriage must be at least 55 years old and up. My mother was 55 and my father 53 when they got their house, a 2 bedroom 2 bath one level home in the community. Kids are only allowed to visit for certain amount of time, and everyone pays a fee for the multiple community centers, 9 golf courses and other various forms of entertainment. Taxes are relatively low due to there being no schools. As for their home, they don't have a lawn, so nothing to mow. They have a backyard with lots of crushed rock, cactus and citrus trees in which they get fresh squeezed juice during the spring. They also have a nice backyard patio. Jackrabbits like to run around there sometimes.

My parents have made a nice home for themselves there, putting in all the pieces they like, from some unique bathroom sinks to granite kitchen counter tops. My folks will add things here and there, and I gotta say they're quite happy in Sun City West.

My father keeps busy with the "Boomers Club", even running it a some point. The group gets together for events that they'll agree on. My second night in AZ, many from the Boomer's club and my family got together at one of the community centers for my mother's 60th birthday party. There had to have been at least 60 or more people there, along with my younger brother, his fiancee, two sets of aunts and uncles (mom's siblings), along with my cousin Rob and his wife Demecia. There was a live band made up of some members of the Boomers, and my father and I got up to sing a couple times.

One song in particular, American Pie, is my father's favorite. He and I both know the words, and usually when my father is enjoying a few frosty adult beverages, if that song plays the man has to sing! Always a good time.  A good time was had by all, especially my mom, who truly deserves that kind of party.

Coming up: riding a rental Harley in AZ....

No comments:

Post a Comment