Monday, April 8, 2013

could go either way...

Practice with my Ninpo Chuan Fa  teacher has been going well. Sluggish with my kicks, particularly with my high side kicks, but they're getting up there. It's been like looking in a puzzle box trying to piece together the old forms and combinations. I remember steps in various forms and combinations here and there, but it's still a jumble. However, over the past ten years John wasn't available to help me piece  it all together. John's getting me up to speed starting from the bottom, so as we teach new student's I'll have the foundations secured again to teach.

The self defense stuff we go over is the easiest to remember. It's familiar, flowing and practical. John also has an appreciation for the Aikido I've been taking, and in a sense it helped get me back in a martial arts rhythm.

We had a chance last week to practice in the space at WREN where we'll be holding our classes. We'll be sitting down with Laura, the lady in charge of the Berlin WREN building this Thursday to go over paperwork stuff and get keys. That day John's wife is also supposed to have the new draft for the revamp of the logo ready.

Things are looking like we have a chance to make this work. I'm cautiously positive however. This is a space we're sharing with other groups, with limited space to store equipment. Also, 40% of what we make goes to WREN, which is a double edged sword. When we found out the 40% aspect, i was kinda taken back by it. Thought it'd be around 20-30% at most. It also doesn't help my mindset that a friend of mine that has been teaching a yoga class there over the past six weeks doesn't plan to return to WREN due to that percentage takeaway.

We'll see how it all goes. As is, I'm mentally giving this a six month trial basis to see what interest we can foster, and if successful, search for a space that's possibly better. However, a lot of this is dependant on John and I being able to hold our classes consistently.

In the meantime, I'm going to attempt to go to Aikido once a week, which my instructor Jack was very happy to hear about. I have missed those classes too. So in the meantime, with all the uncertainty on whether the revival of Ninpo Chuan Fa gets off the ground, I can still keep up with what I put into Aikido over the past year.





No comments:

Post a Comment