Monday, April 15, 2013

Advantages of the internet in martial arts

Ninpo Chuan Fa's main basis come from Kenpo, most of the forms and the 108 combinations in that mix. Putting the puzzle pieces together has been a challenge, but with John's training and some well found videos on Youtube, it's been easier to relearn my old forms and combinations.

As with most martial arts schools, you're going to find various differences in techniques between schools. Years ago  I attended a Kenpo school while being away from home at college for the first time. The owner/master of the school had trained John and other teachers years before, John actually being one of the instructors assisting in his 3rd Dan test. This instructor asked me to perform all my forms for him so he could spot differences. He was an excellent teacher, and I must say was very respectful to me, being only and 18 year old 1st Dan at the time. One weekend he asked me to assist a Saturday morning practice session with one of his assistant instructors, since he'd be out of town.  However, he asked me to not show the students any of my forms, since in most of my forms, while similar to his, had various differences that could mess up his students. Made sense, and looking back I was quite impressed with his kids class.

While looking up videos on Youtube, I notice various small differences in forms and combinations people will perform in Kenpo. These videos still make decent practice material. I just need to take mental note of the differences so I don't screw up my own forms.

I had to do this while using Aikido 3d too. There are noticeable minor differences in some techniques between what Jack teaches me and what the instructor in Aikido 3d demonstrates. Not a big deal, just need to make mental notes when using these tools.

The Ninpo Chuan Fa training with John is going quite well, and the internet is helping me in some aspects. Looking forward to attending Aikido again next month though, if only once a week for now. I may be taking on a lot relearning my old style that I'm a 3rd Dan in, while also learning Aikido as a 4th Kyu, but I'm also relishing it! A year ago if someone told me I had the opportunity to do either one of these styles, particularly Ninpo Chuan Fa again, I wouldn't have believed it! This martial arts geek is excited these days...

No comments:

Post a Comment