Saturday, December 29, 2012

Technological martial arts...

Last February I bought Aikido 3D, a computer program  that shows various skills with 3D animated characters that were created using motion capture technology featuring an Aikido Master (with the option of voiceover of techniques). At the time I was still hoping to get back into martial arts, and found the program a lot of fun to check out. It really sparked my interest in the art. www.aikido3d.com

The same company that made that program 5 years ago had also just come out with a program for WTF Taekwondo, another art that kinda sparked my interest, albeit not as much as Aikido. This newer program was much more detailed with the background and the martial arts animated figures (once again using Taekwondo Masters with motion capture tech).  www.tkd3d.com

Pretty cool, but I started to wonder if they'd either update the Aikido program or come out with a program for another martial art. As it turns out, they just updated the Aikido program with a 2.0 version. The graphics and details are much better, and give all kinds of good views for the practitioner. They even added a weapons expansion, timely since I just started practicing with Aikido weapons in class.

With the actual Aikido classes I've been taking since April, I've found the program to be more than helpful in my training, particularly with reviewing at home. Now, there are subtle differences in techniques but that's to be expected.

Back when I first started studying the martial arts as a kid, I never thought I'd be using computer programs to help me study, particularly in a different art than the eclectic style of Kempo I was trained in. Of course I've never been that too far thinking in terms of the technological wonders that have expanded since I was a kid. Seriously, the first time I set up an email account I felt like an old grandpa.

Welcome to the future...help with your martial arts training is now a click away!

No comments:

Post a Comment