Tuesday, September 18, 2012

one without the other...

I've been enjoying my martial arts training over the past five months in Aikido. It's been invigorating to train with other martial artists again, throwing each other around, off balancing and such. I started the class at a time when I really needed it. I'd been out of regular practice with other people for so long that I was starting to feel like a part of me had been caged.

One of the odd aspects of Aikido is the lack of strikes that are utilized. In most schools of Aikido, and "atemi" is thrown as a strike, but very lightly, more like a faint to confuse your attacker. This goes along with the philosophy that centered on protecting your opponent almost as much as protecting yourself. This is a way to promote peace and harmony, if possible.

I like the ideal; it's part of what drew me to Aikido to begin with. However, I have a healthy understanding to know that some techniques associated with Aikido will not always work, and that sometimes, an opponent needs a good shock to the system.

The kung fu I learned before had a very even blend of various punches, kicks, strikes, grips and throws. It was an all-around good system. I continue to regularly practice various strikes on my body opponent bag, which helps with focus and a good release of steam.

Sometimes cross training is good

No comments:

Post a Comment