Saturday, June 23, 2012

Runs on calories...

Earlier this week I took my mountain bike for a sixteen mile round trip to the next town up north into the local village. It was a hot day, humid too. One of those days where a lot of people just stay by their air conditioners. However, I was feeling pretty good, particularly after an excellent weightlifting workout in my basement, where it's always nice and cool in the summer.

My ride went well, with just a gentle enough breeze to make the heat bearable. Thought I was drinking enough water, but when I got home I felt like I walked into brick wall. I recovered with some good hydration and proper food. Made me pretty tired for my Aikido class later though.

Sadly enough I've only taken my mountain bike out once this year, and only a handful of times last year when I bought it.

This year's different though. Being single again has been kind of a wake up call on getting my weight under control. Really not feeling comfortable in my own skin right now, excess baggage and such. I think getting on the bicycle regularly will help me out like it did oh so many years ago when I went from being a husky teen to the kinda guy that was actually in pretty good shape and thinking of going to college to become a personal trainer. 

Going to school for Culinary Arts kinda sent me the other way. My own fault.

Also, some friends of mine opened up a bicycle shop in the next town south of here. They have group rides every wednesday and sunday evenings, so I'll have to check those out when my schedule permits.

Not liking the new bike I bought though. Got talked into the mountain bike I have, when I really should have gotten more of a Road/Commuter bike. Soon I'll have to get rid of the bicycle for something more fitting for the road riding I prefer to do. Also, need a better saddle. I'll be ordering through my friends' shop to help support their new business. They sell Jamis bicycles, a company out of New Jersey. 

Think I'll go check out their website...

No comments:

Post a Comment