Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Training again...

I've been contacted by my former martial arts instructor. It looks like we will begin doing some training this weekend. I'm curious to see what this entails. I know I'd like to get some refresher instruction on combinations and forms I've somewhat forgotten, plus discussing possibly what his plans might be for teaching again. A young gentleman that took some private lessons with John last year will be joining us, and possibly Leane, a dear friend and fellow black belt from the old school.
 
Meanwhile, my basement has remained my dojo with it's lone practitioner. I beat up my body opponent bag (BOB), focusing on proper hitting in strategic areas.  Please keep in mind, I'm not a violent person, but hitting an inanimate object can be a great stress reducer. I recommend it highly if  so inclined.

I've only practiced one sword form in the back yard once. Somewhat aggravating to forget aspects of the form I was practicing. While doing this, I practiced slowly, as I don't have any wooden practice swords. Those real swords will cut ya if you're careless.

I look over where my black belt sits on one of the shelves in my basement, looking pretty much as new as the day it was given to me. I think about how cool it is to see pictures of martial artists with their belts frayed and worn over years of use. Mine, however, just sits there looking pretty. I've put it on a couple times while working out, having to laugh at myself at how much smaller it looks now around my spare tire. I was definitely slimmer at eighteen when I got it. Slimming down is a work in progress. That's another aspect of training.

So we'll see how this weekend goes. This has been a long time coming. Even if we meet only a couple times a month, it'll be nice to take some lessons again. We may have to do some planning on where we can train in the winter months (my basement?), but I'm sure we can figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment