Monday, October 31, 2011

One of the last good rides of the year

Last week I decided to go for a quick motorcycle ride to the cafe in Gorham. Maybe have a bite to eat with some good coffee. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised by who I might run into at the cafe. This time as I rode by I all of a sudden had an urge for a long ride. Rolling past the cafe, I noticed no vehicles parked there despite the open flag. That did it for me, I'll hit the cafe later.

I decided to take loop that I'd never taken before. I headed towards Bethel, ME on Rte 2 East. From there I took Rte 26 North up through Grafton Notch and back to NH into Errol, where I stopped by LL Cote, the center of the town. Finally I decided to ride past home and to the cafe.

I was taking a chance with a 20% chance of rain. But the skies looked friendly enough. I was covered well in my heavy leather jacket, gauntlet winter leather gloves with fleece lining and my full faced helmet. Temps in the 50's, but my gear kept me warm. Roads were nice and clear. This time of year you especially need to be on the lookout for wet leaves in the road. I've picked up people that have been taken out by such conditions.

Grafton Notch was an excellent route. Riding through the mountains is beautiful any time of year, but the Autumn brings the best colors. Riding through made me want to check out the hiking trails at some point. Thanks to the internet I can get a good idea of what would do well for Marjie and I and possibly the little one.

Granted we're at the end of the riding season, but I'm hoping I have one more good riding day left before winterize the VTX for the winter. Maybe a ride up through Dixville Notch. We'll see. The weather's been wacky lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment