Tuesday, January 31, 2012

basement kung fu

I was able to get a hold of Tim, a former fellow student from the old School of the Silent Warrior, and if we can match up some dates/times, he, Leane and I could all meet up in my basement for some "remembering" training. This will consist of us going over our list of forms/combos and trying to figure out which ones we can remember.

All three of us have been mostly out of practice over the past 5 yrs or so with the Ninpo Chuan Fa system, but my former fellow students have told me they've also had that "itch" to practice again. With any luck we can meet once or twice in February, see how it goes, and maybe make it a semi regular thing.

I've also been thinking about purchasing a computer program to try some other forms of martial arts that I've read about over the past year. A company has produced two computer programs dedicated to showing multiple angles and movements in distinct detail with motion capture animation to produce www.tkd3d.com and www.aikido3d.com. Now which one do I wanna try? Both appeal to me. The TKD3d  has two different programs: one focusing on Olympic style Taekwondo sparring, and the other for more traditional WTF Taekwondo. If I were to go that route, I'd just do the traditional TKD.
However, Aikido appeals to me more, with it's focus on pure defense and circular motions. I know if an Aikido school and a Taekwondo school opened up in the area, I'd more likely join the Aikido school.

I'd thought of maybe taking some classes at White Mountain Karate in Lancaster, but the days they have classes I'm usually working, so I'd only be able to go once or twice a month. Oh well.

I've ditched the "100 Push ups" thing. While I noticed push ups were getting easier, I was really starting to miss lifting weights, so I'm back to mostly lifting again. I likes my dumbbells!

Some other fun workout stuff has involved the Nintendo Wii with Wii Fit Plus. Marjie, Alice and I have been having fun with some of the workouts.

And soon, I'm gonna get those snowshoes on again for some good ol' North Country hikes...

No comments:

Post a Comment