Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Too cold to ride...

               This time of year I get a special issue of "Motorcycle Cruiser" in the mail. The 2012 Buyer's Guide is filled with pics and specs of all the new cruisers the big companies are now selling. It provides me with all kinds of eye candy to dream about during these cold months where I can't ride. I like to think about which ones I'd actually like to own, and fight back the thoughts of trading in the VTX for something else. I have a feeling that anything I'd trade the VTX for would in the long run be a disappointment. If I can't ride, I can at least get into some good books.
         
                I completed "Passing Time" by Ron Roy last month. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. This fictional story, based on the author's time working in the local paper mill  in my hometown of Berlin, NH,   gave me a glimpse into the world of working in the paper mill that was the center piece of our town for decades. The characters and dialogue were well written, and it was interesting to read the descriptions of different places in town. He changed some names, but it was pretty easy to figure out where he was talking about. Towards the end there's a twist that I didn't see coming, but made for unique and interesting overall story. Once again, I highly recommend this for anyone from the Berlin/Gorham/Milan area. It's time for Christmas shopping, and I think this book would make a good gift for anyone that worked in or around the paper mills in the north country.

            Another book I finished, "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere" by Adele Westbrook and Oscar Ratti, gave me an excellent look into Aikido. The book was published way back in 1970, and I was very impressed with the many illustrations by Oscar Ratti, who worked as a professional illustrator. Simply beautiful drawings that went along with the text. Kept this former comic book geek entranced. The authors go into the core history and philosophy of the art before they show an abundant set of basic  aikido techniques, once again beautifully illustrated with style and detail. I only encountered one or two flaws in the illustrations as far as technique goes, but overall very well drawn and described. Anyone interested in the art of Aikido should check this book out. The authors wrote a book on the Samurai that I'll be checking out later, and the illustrator wrote a series of graphic novels that I will also purchase soon , if I don't get said items for xmas or my birthday.

             Currently reading the first of Taekwondo Master Doug Cook's books. I read his most recent book a few months back, "Taekwondo: A Path to Excellence". He's a proponent of traditional martial arts focusing on self defense and improvement of self mentally and physically, along with promoting the history of martial arts. Enjoyed his most recent book so much, I wrote him an email to tell him how much I appreciated it. I got a prompt reply thanking me for the feedback and to keep in touch.
His first book, "Taekwondo: Ancient Wisdom for the Modern Warrior" is also quite enjoyable for a martial arts geek like myself. It's encouraging to read a book from a martial artist that shows how much he cares about the style he has chosen to devote his life too, along with the respect and admiration he shares for other styles and cultures. He has one other book that I already bought, and I will read this after the next book I'm gonna mention.

            "Allegiance of a Soldier", the first part of "The Betrayer" series by a young local author, Kyle Newton. Looking forward to this one. Kyle is only 20, and it's pretty cool to see somebody that young take a bold move and write a series of novels. I haven't gotten to it yet, but soon. I've heard some good things from a friend that finished it.

             Once again people, support your local authors! It's Christmas shopping time! "Allegiance of a Soldier" and  "Passing Time" would make excellent gifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment