Monday, November 28, 2011

new workout

          I have two pieces of strength training equipment I've been using off and on for some time now. I bought the Bowflex Selectech 552 Dumbbells 6 years ago. Great set of dumbbells. You can select the weight from 5 lbs. up to 52.5 lbs.  This has made for some great workouts. The other piece of equipment was bought last year to mix things up. Called the Total Trainer, it's a knock off of the Total Gym that Chuck Norris has been peddling for the last ten years. Also a great piece of equipment. You can use your  own weight for resistance/strength training.

         Both great pieces of equipment, but I'm getting bored with certain workouts. The big challenge I gave myself with the dumbbells was the bench press. Using the max weight of 52.5 lbs in each hand, I could perform up  to 50 reps. Incredible burn. Took me a while to get up to that max rep set, and with particular attention to safety and good form. Feel like I've plateaued here, and that increasing the reps would be almost counterproductive.

        On the Total Trainer, I'm enjoying the pullup bar stuff, but otherwise don't like the bench pressing exercises on the machine. Now I keep the dumbbells at work, and the Total Trainer at home.

        Recently I tried doing some pushups with my girlfriends four year old on my back. I could only do five. Pathetic! Granted that's an extra 45 lbs on me, and I'm way overweight for my 5'10 stocky frame at 275 lbs.  (actually, I might be down to 270 now, still...).   So with my renewed interest in getting back into what I call "kung fu shape", I'm trying a few new strength training programs, based on using my own weight.
      
        I found a website, http://hundredpushups.com/ that has a handful of programs for increasing your strength with your own body weight. The pushup component has a challenge of being able to complete 100 consecutive good pushups with training in six or more weeks. Starting that, along with the dips and squat component today. I'm also going to alternate using the dumbbells and total trainer for back and bicep exercises like pullups, rows and curls.

        I figure these will give me some new goals I can attain, along with trying to slim down and increase my flexibility. Of course, being a former chef, the most difficult part of my training will be eating healthier meals along with portion control.

... in other news
        The motorcycle is put away :(
        Christmas tree goes up this week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment